Monday 12 December 2016

Riyad Mahrez named 2016 BBC African Player of the Year

Riyad Mahrez has tonight put smiles on the faces of Algerians as he is named the 2016 BBC African Footballer of the Year by fans from across the world.

He beat Liverpool’s Saido Mane to the award after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Yaya Toure and Andre Ayew had been eliminated.
Riyad Mahrez said after receiving the award: "It means a lot, obviously I’m African, it’s big for an African player and I’m very pleased to win it.
"It’s always good to receive an award and as an African player it’s a huge honor."
On why he won: "Maybe because I won the league and we had a very good season.
"I think Algerians are proud of me, I’m from Africa and they are very proud of me and I want to thank them and all my family.
"All the fans, thank you very much, I’m very pleased to receive this."


A delighted Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri said: "It is fantastic, he had a fantastic season and I’m sure he’ll want to continue and have another fantastic season.

"I want him to continue, he’s a fantastic player for us and the team and he’s improving everyday. I speak about his sacrifice for the team as we have to work together."

No comments: